SS. Cyril and Methodius Cemetery

On December 10th, 1886, a plot of ground measuring 360 by 484 feet, was purchased from Nick and Charlie Blake, for the sum of $800.00 as the site of SS. Cyril and Methodius Parish Cemetery.

The cemetery was consecrated as a Christian burial ground during the pastorale of Father Mozejewski, in 1889.

SS. Cyril and Methodius Cemetery

In 1922 the following improvements were made by the parishioners: a three foot stone fence on the western boundary of the cemetery, extending 360 feet along State Street; between this fence and the highway, they installed a 12 inch drain pipe, and covered it with 1240 yards of fill.

An artesian well, 251 feet deep was drilled by William Faulkner of Joliet. This well was topped by a brick structure, in which a 3 horsepower electric motor was installed to supply water for the cemetery. A cedar tank of 1200 gallon capacity was super-imposed on this structure. Iron pipes channel the water from this tank to various sections of the grounds.

SS. Cyril and Methodius Cemetery

Because of the natural slope, the terrain in the eastern portion of the cemetery usually became flooded during rain storms. A drainage system became necessary, and it was devised and installed.

The total cost of these improvements amounted to $5,780.00.

A notation in parish Record of Interments tells us that it is a popular tradition that the first person buried in the parish cemetery was Constance Stefanski, whose funeral took place on APRIL 1st, 1887. From that day up to September 20th, 1889, there were 85 interments. Since then, up to September 1, 1959, there were 1769 more, or a total of 1854 interments.

SS. Cyril and Methodius Cemetery

Among those buried in SS. Cyril and Methodius Cemetery are two former pastors, Rev. Candid Kozlowski and Rev. Ladislaus J. Nosal, and one former assistant, Rev. Leopold Moczygemba. Sister Mary Sylvina C.S.S.F. who taught in SS. Cyril and Methodius School is also buried here.

A cyclone fence was installed on the north, east and south sides of the cemetery in June of 1959. The parishioners are very grateful to Mr. ALBERT KNOPINSKI, for the tender care he has given these grounds for many years.

Revised: August 12, 2006